Tuesday, July 29, 2008

28/7 - Day 7: Kaffemiks and the bride

Still struggling with the sore throat that wants to go into a cold or something, I blogged a bit on the spellcheckless computer at Aqqaluk’s office in the morning. Nuunu met us there at around 4pm and together we went to 2 kaffemiks. I did not know there were two lined up, and was only told this after my second slice of cake at the first one. Nuunu wasn’t planning to cook fir dinner and when we found whale and seal stews on offer at the second Kaffemik she encouraged me to eat enough. When we were done at the second Kaffemik I realised that Heldora never called me as she said she would and since I had a gift for her I greeted Nuunu and made my way to Heldora’s. I arrived there just in time to sit down with her family for dinner consisting for fried bacon and whale, vedgies and potatoes. I felt like Greenland was making a concerted effort to fatten me up for the way ahead.

Their 16 year old son was present and very graciously helped with the translation. After dinner I told them that I was sent by my church at the wedding of one of our members. At this wedding a lady gave me ear studs of intricate diamond-like stones set in the shape of a snowflake or a star for the journey. I had been asking the Lord what to do with them and I felt I should give them to Heldora. She represents the bride of Christ in Greenland, and the studs speak of the light the bride brings in this land of snow. I also gave them a little bottle of Irene’s Henna & Hyssop Oil and explained that it reminds of the bride’s cleansing through the blood of Jesus and the intimacy that follows the cleansing. They were blessed and we had tears in our eyes when I left.

No comments: